The Ghost Walker: Readers Guide
- Father John is a white man from Boston. In what ways does he identify with the Arapahos? What is it about the culture that makes him feel at home on the reservation?
- What is it that Father John wants in this novel? Does he achieve it?
- What advantages does Father John have as a priest in solving the mystery? What disadvantages?
- Discuss Father John's temptation to return to drinking. How does he overcome it?
- Discuss Vicky's complicated relationship with her daughter. How does it affect the development of the plot?
- Discuss the spiritual significance of Arapaho names. What are the various ways in which Vicky's Arapaho name identified her and helps her?
- What is the relationship between Father John and Vicky? What do each of them think about the relationship?
- Father John and Vicky are what the Arapahos call edge people. How does their being edge people help them solve the mystery?
- Discuss the significance of the ghost in Arapaho culture. How does the presence of the ghost help to move the plot along?
- In what ways are Father John and Vicky changed as they solve the mystery?