The Shadow Dancer: Readers Guide
- Why do the church officials not defend Father John's work?
- Why are the Indian people so quick to believe the worst about Vicki?
- How are the relationships that Father John and Vicki have with other people similar? different?
- Father John accepts and uses the Indian way of showing respect to elders (use of "Grandmother", not approaching the door at a home but waiting for them to come out) Does this correlate to any actions we take in today's culture?
- What does John mean when he states, "You couldn't hide here...your shadow is always alongside you."
- Food plays an important part of the Indian culture. Discuss today's use of food in our culture, or the culture of other nationalities.
- How does the Shadow Dancer cult relate to any cult or cults today?
- Could a similar scenario happen today on the reservations?
- Discuss the significance of water to the Indians and to the West.
- Why does Vicky defend Ben after his death? Why does she seem so sympathetic to him given their history and what she found out about his relationship with Marcia?
- Vicky says (thinks) Ben deserves justice. Does she want justice for Ben because she is accused of his murder?